What is website usability?
Website usability defines how easy it is to use and navigate your website.
Tools for Testing Your Website’s Usability
- Readability tools:
Yoast Plugin scores your pages and posts for readability and offers advice how to make your content more accessible to consumers.
Or check with Jellymetrics readability grader.
- Site Navigability tool
Start with Site Navigability Analyzer
- Accessibility tools
Here are the primary considerations when performing a web accessibility study:
- Cross-Browser and Cross-Platform Compatibility: Does the site work in as many browsers as possible? Use this tool: BrowserShots
- Semantic HTML Markup: For those who use assistive technologies like a screen reader, the quality and accuracy of the webpage’s structure are essential. Use W3C Markup Validation Service
- Colour Choice: Are the colours on your website high contrast? Do the shades create a hindrance to people with poor vision? Use the following tool to check it.
- Use of HTML Accessibility: There are HTML techniques that aid users with visual impairments. Have you used them on your site?
- Website Speed tools
If your page load time is more than 2-3 seconds, you need to work on your speed.
Test your website speed with several tools below to get an overall analysis:
- User experience (UX) tools
How you feel about your own website isn’t the most important thing. Focus on your user’s experience and gather all the necessary actionable data.
Observe real users:
- Add surveys.
- Gather Remote user feedback. With user testing, you can test any website. There’s absolutely no code to install to run a test. Compare your site with competitors and get real honest answers, as users will follow your task instructions and answer any questions you ask.
- Use heat maps with Crazy Egg.
Crazy Egg provides insight by showing you where people are clicking, or how many people scroll down your pages (and where most people stop). You can even try Crazy Egg for free for 30 days.
- User playback videos.
The full story lets you watch how visitors actually used your website. Pricing starts at $199 per month which includes 20,000 views per month.
- Do A/B testing. Prepare several variations of your landing pages and see which ones convert better. You can always perform a/b testing with Leadpages or Unbounce, while Visual Website Optimiser provides you a full platform for A/B testing.
How do you Work with Data gathered from Testing?
Once you have gathered your data, use it to:
- Evaluate the usability of your website.
- Recommend improvements.
- Implement the recommendations.
- Re-test the site to measure the effectiveness of your changes.
Your website usability is you trying to make sure that your visitors do not leave in a few seconds, and that they aren’t frustrated because it’s hard to find information, products or services.
Website usability equals happy customers, who convert and share your website because they are satisfied with every second of the experience.
Even as the Google ranking factor becomes more complicated, visitors expectations are still increasing and shifting with new technologies such as Voice Search. Your job is to be up to date and always have a website that’s easy to use on both mobile, tablet and desktop.